Everything I Hoped You’d Be

Eugene Peterson writes in the preface of his book Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places that “writing about the Christian life is like trying to paint a bird in flight.  The very nature of a subject in which everything is always in motion and the context is constantly changing – rhythm of wings, sun-tinted feathers, drift of clouds (and much more) – precludes precision.  Which is why definitions and explanations for the most part miss the very thing that we are interested in.”  Our perspective on life, on brokenness and beauty, on God, is constant only in the fact that it is never constant.  The older I get the more I realize that being overcome by brokenness and being overcome by beauty are perhaps one in the same.  At the very least they are akin.  They are akin in the being overcome.  Both have the potential to leave us breathless and prostrate before a God that is not only larger than life but longer than life, wider, deeper.  It requires depth to know height.  It requires darkness to know light.  All that is broken in my life has faithfully uncovered the beauty of the single unbroken Thing in my life.  All that is beautiful in my life, lifted out of all that is broken, has been the resurrection of the resurrection of Christ.  Both bring me to the same place.  Both offer me the same hope.  It’s hard to imagine that I spent so much time loathing the one and loving the other when I see so clearly now that not only do they both speak to the same End but that each requires the other in order to even have a voice in the first place.  From the highest mountain of glory or from the lowest depths of despair, “it’s here that I call out, it’s here that I fall down, it’s here that I find out that You are everything I hoped You’d be.”

Here’s a link to the first song on Ocean, ‘Everything I Hoped You’d Be’:

• James wrote on October 1, 2010

I love this song. Thank you so much for it.

• คุยสด wrote on October 20, 2010

Hi, I just ran across your blog via bing. and I'm really delighted I found your website. Thank You.

• bellamora wrote on November 23, 2010

I have just started out a blog, the info you give on this website has aided me enormously. Appreciation for all your time & work.

• Denise Chandler wrote on November 24, 2010

Thanks for all your beauiful music. You are a blessing from God. My daughter and I have been to see see you two times, and it was a wonderful. You are real. and don't yourself, God has given you a special gift. I have a long story of I found your music. Maybe I will get to tell you. Keep up all of your music. I did want to know about the song The Middle, I don't completely understand it. Have a wonderful holiday with your family. Denise Chandker

• Brenda K King wrote on December 1, 2010

1 of 2: You said, "All that is broken in my life has faithfully uncovered the beauty of the single unbroken Thing in my life. All that is beautiful in my life, lifted out of all that is broken, has been the resurrection of the resurrection of Christ. Both bring me to the same place. Both offer me the same hope. It’s hard to imagine that I spent so much time loathing the one and loving the other when I see so clearly now that not only do they both speak to the same End but that each requires the other in order to even have a voice in the first place." ...This make me realize that the question, 'Why me?" is such a foolish thing to ask when going thru some rough times in your life.

• Brenda K King wrote on December 1, 2010

2 of 2: Well, I've gone thru a rough 'patch' all my life, it seems. I believe it is because I didn't feel as if I was good enough to do anything, so I was always living the way I thought others thought I should live. Notice I say 'thought'. Who knows what they thought, but it doesn't matter now. I am learning who I am, I am learning Who He(the Lord) is and who I am in Him. I have grown and am growing still, from the storm that has been my life. Thank you for letting God work through you! Blessings!

• グッチ 財布 wrote on June 17, 2013

A 優れた シープスキンです 厳しい と 非常に 密 が 維持 柔らかさ。 ドレス まで、それらまたは ドレス それらは、これらのダウン クラシック ルイヴィトン 財布。はるかに少ない よりも 10 種類 されていた 配置 棚に 各 保つ。 ダイ koue stimulasie、マーグ kramp inkrimping、zuursecretie で死ぬマーグ aansienlik toegeneem ワット。きれいに言えば. 多くのおかげで ! - グッチ 財布

• www.2013vuiton.com wrote on June 21, 2013

良質 財布, 購入 のみ 本物 ないレプリカ。 革ベース する必要があります 徐々 に 是正 で 巨大な 用ドラム かなりの数 日。

• health insurance exchange texas wrote on July 25, 2013

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for beauty

• Texas Travel Blog wrote on August 27, 2013

Your article has proven useful to me. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content.

• Eusebia wrote on May 31, 2014

Your style is so unique compared to other folks I have read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this site.